Let’s make math fun! Grab a muffin tin and some cupcake liners. Number the liners 1 – 12 and place one liner in each muffin tin spot. Let the math begin with these activities:
- Using a bag of cereal, some beans, or other small items, have your child place the correct number of cereal pieces in each liner.
- Take two liners out and have your child add the two numbers together. Write a number sentence to model the equation.
- Take two liners out and have your child subtract the two numbers. Write a number sentence to model the equation.
- Mix up the cupcake liners. Can your child put them in the correct order?
- Which cupcake liners show even numbers? What do they have in common? (they are all divisible by 2)
- Which cupcake liners show odd numbers? How do you know?
With very young mathematicians, you may want to start with a 6 compartment muffin tin and then add on as they become more adept.
Have more ideas or math tips? Please share!